Frequently asked questions

Why should I rent a 4x4 camper from you and not a van?

Comparing our campers with the more affordable van campers is a little bit like comparing apples and oranges. The van campers some offer 4x4, but they lack the ground clearance, tire size and suspension strength to take on the Icelandic Highlands, to say nothing of the comfort they also lack due to this. In our campers, the destination is more limited by you than the camper, whereas the destination is limited by the camper, and not you, in a van. 

That said, our campers also separate the two uses: camping and travelling. There is one unit for travelling and another for camping, both are specialized to do each well. The combination carries out the task of travelling much better than a van camper, where a simple van has been fitted with sleeping and cooking facilities. Our campers have a kitchen (stove, faucet with cold running water, refrigerator), a propane heater and two beds. They are optimally set up to use space efficiently while still being comfortable.

Icelandic road infrastructure is far less advanced than continental European infrastructure. Large parts of the country are isolated in winter and only reachable by gravel road in summer. Many, if not most, of the gravel roads quickly degrade after spring service. Then it is vital to be driving a well equipped truck, able to handle the challenges this poses.

When do the highlands open? Does it make sense to rent a 4x4 in early summer?

During the winter, snow amasses on the highland roads, as they are not serviced. Then the temperatures rise and the snow melts, making soft dirt of all the roads. Therefore, they are closed for everyone in this sensitive period when they are drying out. Usually, this takes a few weeks. In 2019, the highland roads opened in early June, but in a bad winter with lots of snow, they can be closed until late June.

Regardless of this, a 4x4 is more than just four driven wheels in this understanding. Our trucks are simply better equipped for difficult roads, and they exist in the most remote populated parts of the country, not just the highlands. For example, in the West fjords and the Eastern quarter, there are lots of gravel roads. They are usually in bad condition due to the minimal maintenance. In those circumstances, our trucks perform excellently and certainly much better than any smaller type of car. The tire size is also quite important, as the tire rubber itself is part of the suspension. Our trucks have tires from 245/65R15 in size, which means there are 160mm of rubber between the road and the wheel.

Where are you located?
Our rental station is by the International Airport in Keflavík. We offer free shuttle service between the airport and our station within opening hours, 09:00 - 18:00. Collection and return can be arranged outside of opening hours for a fee.

What type of campers do you have for hire?
We offer 4×4 Truck Campers, Mitsubishi L200 with pop-up campers on the bed. All our campers have been reinforced for Icelandic conditions, either with better and bigger tires or a stronger suspension. The campers are thus well suited to driving on the harsh F-roads, but with the necessary care due to the weight of the camper.

Are any of your campers allowed on F-roads?
All our campers are suitable for and allowed on most F-roads. The only roads that our campers are forbidden from driving on at any time are F249 (Þórsmörk), F910 between F26 and Askja (note: F910 from Egilsstaðir to Askja allowed!) and F578 (Arnarvatnsheiði). Greater restrictions may also apply in August and September, if weather requires (Usual suspects: F206 (Laki), F261 (Emstrur), F88).

Do you offer emergency road side assistance?
Yes, we offer 24/7 emergency assistance. We have a backup camper (Economy) on standby at all times but in most cases the issue can be solved through one of our many service contacts around the country. We also provide technical assistance through SMS and email for less urgent matters and/or general questions.
In case of a serious emergency or car accident, please call the national emergency number 112. It is important to fill out a damage/incident report if your rental vehicle has been damaged, no matter how small.

Can you meet me at the Bus Station?
We offer collection and delivery in Reykjavík at a fee. We are happy to meet you wherever suits you in Reykjavík.

Do you offer pick-up service at Keflavik airport?
Yes, we offer free shuttle service within office hours.

What time can we collect / return the camper?
We will arrange the collection and return times upon booking. If we fail to do so, collection must be arranged with a minimum of 18 hours in advance before your arrival. Return should take place within opening hours.
Later returns can be arranged, subject to availability and fee or credit card authorization. It is also possible to return at the Keflavík airport parking lot, for morning departures.

What age do I have to be to rent a pick-up camper?
The minimum age of the main driver is 25 years. This requirement fulfilled, other drivers may be younger. The main driver is responsible for the vehicle.

Can more than one of our party drive the camper?
Yes. You can have as many drivers as you wish, for free. Please do not forget to bring driving licenses for all drivers.

How do I make a booking?
You can either look up a quote quickly in our booking system (on the front page), decide to book there OR send us an inquiry and we will reply with a concise offer.

What is the booking deposit required?
10-20% of the total amount as a deposit is required at time of booking. The rest of the hire charge is due at pick-up.

How do I pay?
We accept payments by cash, bank transfer, credit and debit card.

Are there any other charges?
The camping kit is indispensable and costs €280.

Does the camping kit include bed linen, pillows, etc. for each person?
The camping kit is adapted to the number of people traveling, so everyone gets a duvet and bed linen.

Is there a minimum rental period?
Yes, the minimum rental period is 6 days.

Is any insurance included in the hire charge?
Yes, the hire charges we state always include insurance for one named driver, for damage caused to third party, and a simple collision damage waiver with a self-risk of ISK 290.000.

What kind of insurance do you offer?
We offer the following additional insurances:

  • Gravel Protection with a ISK 10.000 liability on stone chips to the windshield: €15/day
  • Super CDW with a ISK 50.000 liability AND Gravel Protection with a liability of ISK 10.000: €25/day

No insurance covers damage to the undercarriage, tires or damage in water or due to sand- or ash storms.

If I book a camper with 220km/day and in the end exceed the limit, what is the cost per additional km?
Each extra KM costs €1.5, so if you go 100 KM over the limit, the charge is €150. 

If I book a camper with 220km limit is it per day or for the whole trip?
The KM limit is an average. You can exceed it in a day but not in the final number, which is 220 KMs * days booked (Example: 10 days * 220 KMs/day = 2200 KMs).

What kind of transmission do your cars have, manual or automatic?
The Mitsubishi Economy is available only with a manual transmission, although we have automatic back-ups. The Comfort camper is available with both manual and automatic transmission.

Do the cars use petrol or diesel?
Our fleet runs on diesel.

What is the difference between the Economy and the Comfort Mitsubishi camper?
The 2017 Mitsubishi Comfort has more technology to aid its driver, as well as a better sound system and an electrically operated four-wheel drive. It has more power.
The older Mitsubishi has experience but is maintained impeccably by our mechanics and performs well under the stress situations it faces in the highlands. It is a more economical option, consuming only 12L/100 km of diesel with the camper on the back, passengers and luggage, up- or downhill!

Are there two separate sleeping areas in the camper?

Yes, there are two sleeping areas: 195x120cm and 187x110cm

How is the top of the camper moved up and down? 
It is indeed very quick and easy. First, you unlock the roof. There are four locks on the outside. Then you step inside the camper and lift the roof by turning a lever, engage the security lock and you’re done! This process takes under 30 seconds. Putting the roof down is slightly more complicated, requiring one person to be on the outside to secure the canvas inside the camper but it still only takes about a minute.

What is the average fuel consumption of the campers?
The average diesel consumption of the Economy Camper is 12L/100 km. The newer Comfort Camper is more powerful and heavy and consumes 13-14L/100km.

How many kilometres can you drive on one tank?

With the Economy Campers you can make 400 KM on one tank under normal circumstances. In the 2017 Comfort Camper, we estimate you can drive 500 KM on one tank under normal circumstances. This will suffice for any crossing through the highlands, by filling up at the last station before entering (The longest highland crossing is only about 200 KMs). The fuel tank on the Economy camper is 65 L and on the Comfort camper 75 L.

What do we need to bring with us for the trip?
The camping kit includes full gas bottle, duvets, pillows, bed sheets and linen, kitchen utensils. You should bring warm clothes, both to sleep in and to walk in. Good waterproof shoes and jackets are a must. Iceland is very windy, so a windproof jacket and pants are also good. It is very important to pack light, as luggage becomes a hassle with many people in the camper together.

Do I need an international drivers license to rent a car?
No, a national driver’s license is sufficient, as long as it’s in the latin alphabet. If not, we require an official translation or an international driving license.

How is the stove fueled?
The camper is supplied with a gas bottle which fuels the stove – this is included in the camping kit. At pick-up the gas bottle is full and should be an adequate supply for 7-10 days. When it runs out, you can have it replaced at manned gas stations for €40-50.

Can I listen to music from my phone on the car radio?
Yes, all our campers are equipped with a stereo with RDS tuner, CD, USB and Aux-In, which supports playback of MP3, WMA, WAV, and even FLAC lossless audio files from a portable device via the illuminated front Aux-in. The new Comfort Camper also has Bluetooth so that you can accept phone calls and play music wirelessly.

Does the camper have a refrigerator?
Yes, all our campers have a 30L refrigerator, powered by gas. You can easily store three days of supplies inside.

Is there any heating in the camper?
Yes the heating is fuelled by gas, which will keep you warm in all weathers. We also provide an electric space-heater, for use at campsites to conserve gas or as backup.

Is the camper equipped with power sockets? Which types and how many each? Is also a 220v socket available?
The truck has one 12V socket for smartphones etc. There is a 220V socket in the camper which can be used when the camper is connected to ground electricity (available at most campsites). Both the car and the camper have a battery, the car motor charges both during driving. We also offer 12V -> 220V inverters which enable you to connect 220V sockets to the truck during driving.

Can the campers take baby / child car-seats?
All 4-door pick-up campers have 4 traditional 3 point seat belts. We offer child safety seats for rent. The Comfort camper has ISOFIX.

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag?
It is not necessary to bring a sleeping bag, as duvets, bed linen and sheets are included in the camping kit, but some people also like to bring their own sleeping bag and that’s perfectly fine. If so, please do let us know in advance. 

Is there enough space in the camper for 2 adults and 2 children?
The camper can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children comfortably.

Where can I park overnight?
We recommend staying on campsites, where you have access to toilet facilities, electricity and often showers and washing machines. The number of towns which forbid camping overnight in public parking areas is always increasing, so to be safe, choose a campsite. The general rule is that outside private property and campsites, you are free to camp, as long as you respect nature and the laws of the land.

If we stay at your apartment, can we return the camper there free of charge?
Yes, if you return the camper at the apartment in Reykjavik, no location fees apply.

Do I need to return the camper with full tank of fuel?
Yes. You will receive the camper with a full tank of fuel and must return it full too. If returned without a full tank, we charge a "service" price per litre that is 2x the pump price, for the labor of bringing the camper specifically to buy a few liters.

Do you have 4×4 campers with portable WC?
Unfortunately we do not offer a portable WC. There are WC’s on all camping sites, tank stations and restaurants. Many campsites also have showers and washing machines. provides more information about campsites in Iceland and their facilities.

My flight departs very early in the morning, can I drop the camper off before opening hours?
If you would like to drop the camper off earlier on the day of departure, we require a credit card authorization from €500 to €1500, depending on the camper (valid for 30 days from the day of arrival). You may then leave the camper at the airport when it suits you. The credit card authorization is just a guarantee, if the camper is in order, this is released back to you within in 30 days of arrival.

Is there mobile coverage all over the country?
Practically the entire country has GSM coverage by now, here is a map that shows mobile coverage, as well as 3G and 4G reception.