If your question isn’t answered here, please do not hesitate to contact us!

57-horse copy

Where are you located?
Our rental station is by the International Airport in Keflavík. We offer free shuttle service to and from the airport within office hours, 09:00 – 20:00 daily, but a fee of €55 applies outside these hours. We also offer pickup at all guesthouses/hotels in Reykjavík for €35.

What type of campers do you have for hire?
We offer 4×4 Truck Campers, Mitsubishi L200 with pop-up campers on the bed. All our campers have been reinforced for Icelandic conditions, either with better and bigger tires or with a stronger suspension.

Are any of your campers allowed on F-roads?
All our campers are suitable for and allowed on F-roads. For information on weather and road conditions, please visit www.vegagerdin.is/english. The only roads that our campers are forbidden from driving on are F249 (Þórsmörk), F910 between F26 and Askja (note: F910 from Egilsstaðir to Askja allowed!) and F578 (Arnarvatnsheiði). We may also suggest not driving certain roads, depending on time of year and conditions. Greater restrictions may also apply in September, if weather requires.

Do you offer emergency road side assistance?
Yes, we offer 24/7 emergency assistance. Our phone number is open and you will reach the manager directly, at all times. We have a backup camper on standby at all times but in most cases the issue can be solved through one of our many service contacts around the country. We also provide technical assistance through SMS and email for less urgent matters.
In case of a serious emergency or car accident please call the national emergency number 112.

Can you meet me at the Bus Station?
For all pickups in Reykjavík, there is a location fee of €35. We are happy to meet you wherever suits you in Reykjavík.

Do you offer pick-up service at Keflavik airport ?
Yes, we offer free shuttle service within office hours (daily 09:00 – 20:00).

What time do we collect / return the camper?
Pick-up and drop-off time is between 09:00 and 20:00 – unless otherwise arranged.
Later drop-offs can be arranged, subject to availability and a small fee or credit card authorization.

What age do I have to be to rent a pick-up camper?
The minimum age of the main driver is 25 years.

Can more than one of our party drive the camper?
Yes. You can have as many drivers as you wish, for free. Please do not forget to bring driving licenses for all drivers.

How do I make a booking?
Simply view our campers, then ask for a quote by e-mail or with our contact form.

What is the booking deposit required?
10-20% of the total amount as a deposit is required at time of booking. The rest of the hire charge is due at pick-up.

How do I pay?
We accept payments by credit card, debit card, cash or bank transfer.

Are there any other charges?
The camping kit is indispensable and costs ISK 35.000, see detailed information on what is included in the camping kit here.

Does the camping kit include bed linen, pillows, etc. for each person?
The camping kit is adapted to the number of people traveling, so everyone gets a duvet and bed linen.

Is there a minimum rental period?
Yes, the minimum rental period is 6 days.

Is any insurance included in the hire charge?
Yes, the hire charges we state always include insurance for one named driver, for damage caused to third party, and a simple collision damage waiver with a self-risk of ISK 290.000.

What kind of insurance do you offer?
We offer the following additional insurances:

  • CDW with a ISK 150.000 liability: €25/day
  • Gravel Protection with a ISK 10.000 liability on stone chips to the windshield: €15/day
  • Super CDW with a ISK 50.000 liability AND Gravel Protection with a liability of ISK 10.000: €35/day

No insurance covers damage to the undercarriage, tires or damage in water or due to sand- or ash storms.

Which additional insurance should I purchase?
We recommend purchasing SCDW, with the lowest self-risk of ISK 50.000. This has been our most popular option and for good reason.

If I book a camper with 200km/day and in the end exceed the limit, what is the cost per additional km?
Each extra KM costs €1.5, so if you go 100 KM over the limit, the charge is €150.

If I book a camper with 200km limit is it per day or for the whole trip?
The km limit is 200/day spread out over your trip, so if you book for 10 days, you can drive a total of 2000km, with more on some days and less on others.

What kind of transmission do your cars have, manual or automatic?
The Mitsubishi Economy is available only with a manual transmission, although we have automatic back-up cars that are slightly older. The Comfort camper is available with both manual and automatic transmission.

Do the cars use petrol or diesel?
Our fleet runs on diesel.

What is the difference between the Economy and the Comfort Mitsubishi camper?
The 2017 Mitsubishi Comfort has more technology to aid its driver, as well as a better sound system and an electrically operated four-wheel drive. It has more power.
The older Mitsubishi has experience but is maintained impeccably by our mechanics and performs well under the stress situations it faces in the highlands. It is a more economical option, consuming only 12L/100 km of diesel with the camper on the back, passengers and luggage, also less expensive per day. More detailed comparison available here.

Are there two separate sleeping areas in the camper?

Yes, there are two sleeping areas: 195x120cm and 185x110cm

How is the top of the camper moved up and down? 
It is indeed very quick and easy. First, you unlock the roof. There are four locks on the outside. Then you step inside the camper and lift the roof by turning a lever, engage the security lock and you’re done! This process takes under 30 seconds. Putting the roof down is slightly more complicated, requiring one person to be on the outside to secure the canvas inside the camper but it still only takes about a minute.

What is the average fuel consumption of the campers?
The average diesel consumption of the Economy Camper is 12L/100 km. The newer Comfort Camper is more powerful and heavy and consumes 13L/100km.

How many kilometres can you drive on one tank?

With the Economy Campers you can make 400 KM on one tank under normal circumstances. In the 2017 Comfort Camper, we estimate you can drive 500 KM on one tank under normal circumstances.

What do we need to bring with us for the trip?
The camping kit includes full gas bottle, duvets, pillows, bed sheets and linen, kitchen utensils, so all you need to remember is your clothes (warm ones too) and driving licenses for all named drivers. We recommend to travel as light as possible.

Do I need an international drivers license to rent a car?
No, a national driver’s license is sufficient, as long as it’s in the latin alphabet. If not, we require an official translation or an international driving license.

How is the stove fueled?
The camper is supplied with a gas bottle which fuels the stove – this is included in the camping kit. At pick-up the gas bottle is full and should be an adequate supply for 7-10 days. When it runs out, you can have it replaced at major gas stations.

Can I listen to music from my phone on the car radio?
Yes, all our campers are equipped with a stereo with RDS tuner, CD, USB and Aux-In, which supports playback of MP3, WMA, WAV, and even FLAC lossless audio files from a portable device via the illuminated front Aux-in. The new Comfort Camper also has Bluetooth so that you can accept phone calls and play music wirelessly.

Does the camper have a refrigerator?
Yes, all our campers have a 30L refrigerator, powered by gas. You can easily store three days of supplies inside.

Is there any heating in the camper?
Yes the heating is fuelled by gas, which will keep you warm in all weathers. We also provide an electric space-heater, for use at campsites to conserve gas or as backup.

Is the camper equipped with power sockets? Which types and how many each? Is also a 220v socket available?
The truck has one 12V socket for smartphones etc. There is a 220V socket in the camper which can be used when the camper is connected to ground electricity (available at most campsites). Both the car and the camper have a battery, the car motor charges both during driving. We also offer 12V -> 220V inverters which enable you to connect 220V sockets to the truck during driving.

Can the campers take baby / child car-seats?
All 4-door pick-up campers have 4 traditional 3 point seat belts. 2-door pick-up campers have 2 seats with lap belts. We offer child safety seats for rent, please contact us for further information.

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag?
It is not necessary to bring a sleeping bag, as duvets, bed linen and sheets are included in the camping kit, but some people also like to bring their own sleeping bag and that’s perfectly fine. If so, please do let us know in advance.

Is there enough space in the camper for 2 adults and 2 children?
The camper can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children comfortably.

Where can I park overnight?
We recommend staying on campsites, where you have access to toilet facilities, electricity and often showers and washing machines. The number of towns which forbid camping overnight in public parking areas is always increasing, so to be safe, choose a campsite. The general rule is that outside private property and campsites, you are free to camp, as long as you respect nature and the laws of the land.

If we stay at your apartment, can we return the camper there free of charge?
Yes, if you return the camper at the apartment in Reykjavik, no location fees apply.

Do I need to return the camper with full tank of fuel?
Yes. We charge a service price on each litre that is about 2 times what it costs at the pump, so it is best to fill the car up in Keflavík (or within 5 kilometers of the return location) to be safe.

Do you have 4×4 campers with portable WC?
Unfortunately we do not offer a portable WC. There are WC’s on all camping sites, tank stations and restaurants. Many campsites also have showers and washing machines. www.tjalda.is provides more information about campsites in Iceland and their facilities.

My flight departs very early in the morning, can I drop the camper off before 9am?
If you would like to drop the camper off earlier on the day of departure, we require a credit card authorization from €500 to €1500, depending on the camper (valid for 30 days from the day of arrival). You may then leave the camper at the airport when it suits you. The credit card authorization is just a guarantee, if the camper is in order, this is released back to you within in 30 days of arrival.

Is there mobile coverage all over the country?
Practically the entire country has GSM coverage by now, here is a map that shows mobile coverage, as well as 3G and 4G reception. This is best provided by Vodafone and Siminn, the biggest telecom providers.